St Kilda Adventure Playground has reopened after being temporarily closed in April and May 2017 for soil testing and maintenance work and mama is so pleased to see it back. This is a park that lets kids be kids – explore, run, challenge themselves and enjoy themselves… and hidden away, you would know you’re in the heart of St Kilda!
If colour, fun and handmade cubbies are your thing, then this community based playground is chock full of natural delights. The playground let’s kids use their imagination and I personally love the rustic, recycled feel to the place… beats any playcentre, that’s for sure! Everything is colourful and hand painted and mostly hand built. Tree houses, cubby houses, giant pirate ships, a tepee, big war plane, awesome in-ground trampoline, fantastic flying fox, big metal slide, chook house, ride on dinosaur, various swings and slides, metal half-pipe, big wooden castle with lots of nooks and crannies and a great tunnel slide. There are so many adventures to be had here. You really have to see it to believe it.
The recent closure for maintenance and improvements included:
- Clean up across the playground including pruning trees, sorting out old equipment and storage areas, cleaning out roof gutters and tidying activity areas.
- Reviewing the entry and exit points of the playground and improving the gates
- Adding extra protection to some of the play equipment to ensure safe play (e.g. adding padding on metal bars on play equipment).
- Removing some structures and/or equipment which is no longer used or non-compliant and tidying up pathways.
- Reviewing emergency management plans and evacuation procedures.
This gated park is ideal for 5-12 year olds and is staffed and only open during certain times:
School Holidays: 12.00pm to 4.30pm
Monday to Friday: 3.30pm to 5.30pm daily
Saturday and Sunday: 12noon to 4.30pm
Public holidays: 12noon to 4pm
Just off Neptune Street, St Kilda.
And if you love it, make sure you also check out Skinners Adventure Playground in Dorcas Street, South Melbourne.
Find out more about both these fabulous spots here.