Ohhh all our dreams have come true! These Fairy bread lamingtons are going to be a huge hit at your next party or afternoon tea. Kids and adults alike are both going to thank you for this sweet treat. It’s super easy to make with the prefilled sponge, but can get a little messy – so have the vacuum at the ready once you’re finished. Those pesky 100’s and 1000’s can get away from you!
Prep time: 20 mins
- 2 unfilled sponge slabs (I used the Coles 450gram slabs that came in 2 pieces)
- 3 cups of icing sugar mixture
- 50 grams of butter at room temperature
- ½ cup very hot water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup of thickened cream, whipped into firm peaks
- Hundreds and thousands
- Use a small serrated knife to remove the brown crust from the sponge slabs. Cut each slab into 6 even pieces.
- Sift the icing sugar into a bowl and add the butter. Pour the hot water and vanilla over the butter to make it melt. Stir until smooth.
- Use a small serrated knife to cut sponge pieces in half horizontally (or if you prefer the sponge thicker like I do, don’t cut them and just spread cream onto one of the already cut pieces.) Spread bases with a little whipped cream, then replace the tops. Place in the fridge for 15 minutes to firm slightly.
- Spread the hundreds and thousands over a plate. Use 2 forks to carefully dip a lamington in the icing mixture to coat. Tap forks on the side to remove excess. Carefully roll in hundreds and thousands, patting to coat.
- Place on a wire rack. Repeat with remaining lamingtons, icing mixture and hundreds and thousands. Place in the fridge for 15 minutes or until firm.
These beauties came from Jess at Dressed in Copper. Jess is a gorgeous Aussie mama with a love for food, wine and travelling. She is a a shift working, coffee drinking, photography obsessed lady who is passionate about her beautiful state – South Australia, and those who are in it.