Roast Vegetable Quiche with Cheesy Crust.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 1 hour + chilling
Baking Pan: Wiltshire Large Perforated Rectangle Quiche & Tart Pan 30.5cm
Cheesy Crust Pastry
- 3 cups (450g) plain flour, plus extra to dust
- 150g salted butter, chopped
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 100g grated cheddar cheese
- 2 tbsp sour cream
- 1 ½ tbsp apple cider vinegar
- ½ tsp cracked pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 250g truss cherry tomatoes
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- Olive oil spray
- 150g marinated goats cheese
- 6 eggs
- ⅓ cup (80ml) thickened cream
- Salt & pepper
- Pesto and basil leaves
- For the cheesy crust pastry, combine flour, ½ tsp cracked pepper and 1 tsp salt in a bowl. Toss through butter, oil and cheese. Using your fingers, rub mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs, leaving some larger pieces. Make a well in the centre. Combine sour cream and vinegar, then add ¼ cup (60ml) boiling water. Add to dry ingredients, then, using a small knife, cut together to form a dough. Shape into a thick rectangle, wrap in cling film and chill for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven at 180°C (fan-forced). Roll dough out on a floured surface to a 50 x 40cm rectangle (6mm thickness) and use to line your tart pan. Use a sharp knife to neaten the edges. Prick the bottom all over with a fork and freeze for 20 minutes.
- Line pastry with baking paper and fill with Wiltshire Baking Beads. Bake for 15 minutes, then remove baking beads and paper, bake for 10 minutes or until light golden. Arrange the beetroot, tomatoes and onion over pastry shell and spray with olive oil. Cook for 15 minutes or until vegetables are softened and beginning to char on the edges.
- Combine egg and cream in a jug and season with salt and pepper. Crumble cheese over vegetables, then carefully add egg mixture to quiche, pouring mixture in between the vegetables until mixture reaches the edge of the pastry.
- Reduce oven to 160°C and cook for a further 35-40 minutes or until egg is just cooked through.
- Remove and stand for 5 minutes to cool slightly. Scatter with basil leaves and spoonfuls of pesto and serve.
Want more from Mama? Get the latest MamaMag fun straight to your inbox.