These easy and healthy sausage rolls are the perfect way to up your veggie count for the day. If you’re looking for a healthy and tasty alternative to these all time favourites, then look no further. These are super flavoursome on their own so you won’t even need to drown them in tomato sauce!
Serves: 4 | Prep: 00:10 | Cook: 00:20
- 300 g beef mince
- 1/4 cup basil (fresh) finely chopped
- 2 free range egg(s)
- 1.5 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup wholemeal (or gluten free) breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 carrot(s) finely grated
- 1/2 onion (brown) finely grated
- salt & pepper to taste
- 2 puff pastry ready rolled sheets, defrosted
- 1/2 tablespoon poppy seeds
INGREDIENTS FOR SERVING
- 250 g cherry tomatoes mixed variety, chopped
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil (extra virgin)
- 1/2 avocado(s)
- Preheat oven 200ºC.
- In a medium bowl, mix together mince, basil, 1 egg, worcestershire, breadcrumbs, tomato paste, carrot and onion. Season to taste.
- Refrigerate mixture.
- Cut pastry sheets in half (about 10-12 cm wide).
- Lightly beat the other egg.
- Divide beef mince mixture into 4 even portions and form each quarter along one edge of the pastry.
- Brush the open strip of pastry at opposite side of the mixture with egg and roll pastry over mixture into a long even log.
- Brush the tops with egg and sprinkle with poppy seeds and cut into rolls
- Place roll seam side down on a lined oven try with baking paper.
- Bake for 20 – 25 minutes until golden.
- Mix all salad ingredients together, season and serve with sausage rolls
Credit: Recipes from 28 by Sam Wood, Australia’s number one health and fitness program at home.