It’s such an exciting time of year for so many families as the countdown to starting school begins. It is a huge step for both children and parents, and there are some things that you can do to make the transition as seamless as possible.
Parents NEED to be organised. Familiarise yourself with start and finish times and lay out their uniform the night before so it’s one less thing to worry about in the morning. Make sure you label everything. This includes their school jumper, lunchbox, bag and hat.
Here are some tips to help your child get ready for their school journey:
1. Have your child practice packing their school bag, opening and closing their lunchbox and knowing what to eat for each break at school.
2. Drive past school and show them which gate they will walk in from.
3. Talk about their teacher and remind them that their teacher is there to look after them and help them with anything they need. It’s important for children to know that they are safe and supported.
4. Share positive stories from when you went to school.
5. Make sure they can toilet themselves, recognise toilet signs and can lock and unlock a toilet door. Ensure that you have a change of clothes in their school bag just in case they have an accident.
6. Ensure that your child is getting enough sleep. Try to have a consistent bed time and wake time.
7. Talk about all of the fun things they will do at school and the friends they will make.
Remember to celebrate this special time and try to hold yourself together until you’ve said goodbye.