Finally getting back into the swing of school lunches again? I find it harder and harder as the kids get older. One of mine hates sandwiches with a passion so it gets really tricky to think of alternatives after a while. I think these 5 savoury lunch box recipes will keep him happy though.
5 savoury lunch box recipes
BEETROOT & ROAST Veggie CALZONE with Barker’s beetroot Relish
PIZZA DOUGH (BREAD MAKER VERSION)
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 cups high grade flour
- 1 Tbsp surebake yeast
- 8 Tbsp
- Barker’s Beetroot Relish
- 1 cup Cheddar Cheese, grated
- 4 cups roasted vegetables
- (we used sweet potato, zucchini
- & red onion)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Herbs, optional
TO MAKE PIZZA DOUGH
Place all ingredients, in the order noted above, into bread maker pan. Put on dough cycle.
Once finished, tip dough out onto a floured surface. Punch down dough and divide into 6 (or 8 if you want smaller calzones). Form each piece into a ball and place on a plate or tray to rise. Cover with a tea-towel and let the dough double in size somewhere warm for around 40 minutes.
TO MAKE CALZONE PIZZA
- Preheat oven to 220°C fan bake.
- Take pizza dough balls and roll into circles approximately the size of a side plate.
- Spread half of each pizza dough round with a tablespoon of Beetroot Relish. Top with roast vegetables and approx 2 tablespoons of grated cheese.
- Fold dough over the contents to make half circles. Pinch the edges together with finger tips and crimp with a fork.
- Brush egg over the top of the pastry.
- With a sharp knife cut 3 large slits in the top, this lets the steam out while cooking.
- Bake for 15-25 minutes until golden and cooked through.
Cheese and tomato scrolls
- 3 cups self raising flour, sifted
- ½ tsp baking powder
- Salt & cracked black pepper
- 50g chilled butter, chopped
- ¾ cup milk
- 1/3 cup Barker’s Tomato Relish
- 1 ½ cups grated extra tasty cheese
- Extra milk, for brushing
1 . Preheat oven to 210°C
- Place flour, baking powder, salt and pepper in a bowl and add butter. Using your fingertips, rub in butter until the mixture resembles rough breadcrumbs. Make a well in the centre.
- Combine milk with 1/3 cup water. Pour the liquid into well. Using a flat bladed knife, cut through the flour mixture until it comes together as a rough dough.
- Tip dough onto a work surface dusted with flour and knead lightly until it can form a ball.
- Roll out the dough to a rectangle approximately 30 x 40cm in size. Spread with Tomato Relish then sprinkle with cheese.
- Roll up from a short sides to form a cigar. Slice the roll into pieces approximately 4cm wide.
- Place scrolls close together on a baking tray lined with non stick baking paper so they are touching. Brush each scroll with a little extra milk.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until cooked through. If the scrolls start to brown too quickly cover with foil. Cool on a wire rack then break apart.
LEFTOVER LOVERS SAUSAGE ROLL with Barker’s Sweet Chilli Relish
- 450g sausage meat
- 1 cup leftover veggies, grated or finely diced
- 2 zucchini, grated
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 Tbsp fresh herbs
- 3 Tbsp Barker’s Sweet Chilli Relish
- 1/4 tsp salt and Pepper, to taste
- 3 sheets flaky puff pastry, thawed
- 1 egg, to brush pastry
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Line a baking tray with grease-proof baking paper.
- Combine sausage meat, vegetables, garlic, herbs and relish in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Mix until well combined (clean wet hands will help).
- Cut thawed puff pastry sheets in half.
- Measure approx 1/2 cup of sausage meat mixture and create a long row of filling along the length of one piece of pastry, approx 2cm from one edge (this will allow the pastry edges to overlap once rolled over the sausage meat mixture).
- Before rolling, brush long edges of pastry with a little water. Roll to create a long tube. Repeat for remaining half sheets of pastry.
- Whisk egg in a bowl. Brush pastry tops with egg mixture.
- Cut sausage rolls into desired size, place on baking tray. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
MUFFIN FRITTATAS with Barker’s Relish or Chutney
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 capsicum, sliced
- Oil, to saute
- 6 small boiled potatoes, diced
- 10 green beans, diced
- Barker’s Relish or Chutney of your choice
- Fresh cherry tomatoes, sliced
- 8 eggs
- 100g feta
- Fresh herbs, optional
- Salt & freshly cracked black pepper
- Grated cheese or Parmesan
- Preheat oven to 180°C and grease muffin tins. Over medium heat, saute onion and capsicum in a little oil for a few minutes until soft. Add diced cooked potatoes and green beans and saute for a further 5 minutes.
- Transfer spoonfuls of cooked vegetables into muffin tins, approx 2/3rds full.
- On top of the vegetables, dollop small amounts of relish and place cherry
- In another bowl beat eggs and fold in crumbled feta. Season with salt and pepper and add fresh herbs if you have them handy.
- Top the muffin tins with egg mixture, then sprinkle grated cheese on top.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until golden brown and cooked through.
- Allow to cool for a few minutes before serving, or transferring to an air-tight container.
Why not try these alternatives:
- leek & potato, a dash of lemon zest, with generous garnish of rocket
- peas, mint leaves and feta cheese
- roast pumpkin, haloumi, diced tomato, Morrocan chickpeas
- grated zucchini, carrot and parsnip
- Sauteed potato, olives, sundried tomato, red onion
- asparagus, artichoke, mozzarella and zucchini
- pasta with broccolini and blue cheese
- Kale, potato, sundried tomato and turmeric
- corn, mushrooms, red onion, black beans, tomatoes
Air fryer pizza scrolls
More great recipes: 10 Sandwich free lunch box ideas
Try these ideas: