The popular Anzac biscuit is a traditional, eggless sweet biscuit. Early recipes did not include coconut.
The following recipe (without coconut) was published in The Capricornian (Rockhampton, Queensland) on Saturday, 14th August 1926.
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1 tbls golden syrup
- 2 tbls boiling water
- 1 tsp bicarbonate soda (add a little more water if mixture is too dry)
- Combine dry ingredients.
- Mix golden syrup, boiling water and bicarbonate of soda until they froth. Add melted butter.
- Combine butter mixture and dry ingredients.
- Drop teaspoons of mixture onto floured tray, allowing room for spreading.
- Bake in a slow oven at about 180 for 10-12 mins.