How simply delicious does this cake from Anna Polyviou sound. Yummy hot choc mud cake with whipped cocoa buttercream, choc fudge sauce and toasted marshmallow.
Serves: 10 | Prep time: 1 hour 30 minutes | Bake time: 1 hour 10 minutes for cake, 10 minutes for fudge, 20 minutes for buttercream
Hot Chocolate Cake
Chocolate Mud Cake
- 200g dark chocolate
- 250g unsalted butter
- 4 eggs, whisked
- 1tsp vanilla paste
- 250g White Wings Self-Raising Flour, sifted
- 50g cocoa powder, sifted
- 250g CSR Caster Sugar
- 250ml butter milk
- pinch of sea salt
Whipped Cocoa Buttercream
- 90g egg white (about 3 egg whites)
- 180g CSR Caster Sugar
- 210g unsalted Butter, diced
- 30g cocoa Powder, sifted (plus extra to dust)
- 1 tsp vanilla paste
Store-bought white marshmallows
Chocolate Fudge Sauce
- 50g dark chocolate
- 125ml cream, thick
- 50g CSR Brown Sugar
- 25g unsalted Butter
- 1 tsp vanilla Paste
- pinch of sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 165°C Fan-Forced. Line a 20cm (8 inch) round cake tin with baking paper.
- For the Mud Cake, place the chocolate and butter in a medium-sized heatproof bowl. Place in the microwave and melt, stirring frequently, until smooth. Set aside until completely cool, then whisk in the eggs and vanilla paste until completely combined.
- In a separate large bowl, combine the self-raising flour, cocoa powder, caster sugar and sea salt. Pour in the chocolate mixture, mix to combine, then mix in the buttermilk. Pour mixture into the lined tin, then place in the oven and bake for 60 minutes or until the skewer inserted in the centre comes out a little moist, not completely dry. Allow to cool completely in the tin.
- Meanwhile, for the buttercream, half-fill a medium saucepan with water. Place over a medium heat and bring to a simmer. Place the egg whites and sugar in a medium-sized stainless steel bowl and whisk until combined. Place the bowl over the saucepan of simmering water and whisk constantly until the sugar has dissolved and the mixture reaches 78°C, scraping down the sides of the bowl regularly.
- Once at temperature, remove from the heat. Working carefully, transfer the hot egg white mixture to the bowl of a standard mixer fitted with a whisk attachment. Whisk on medium speed 5-10minutes until cooled to body temperature.
- With the mixer running on medium, gradually add in the butter, a cube at a time, ensuring that the butter is combined before each addition, then add the cocoa powder and vanilla. Continue whisking for 5-10 minutes until smooth and glossy. Place in the fridge for 20 minutes to allow to firm up.
- For the chocolate fudge sauce, place all ingredients into a small saucepan over medium heat and stir until melted and smooth. Allow to cool.
- For the toasted marshmallows, toast with a kitchen blowtorch, or place under the grill for a few minutes until charred (make sure you watch the marshmallows closely!).
- To assemble, remove the cooled cake from the tin and trim the top to make it even, then flip the cake so the base becomes the top. Place on a serving plate and swirl with cocoa buttercream, dust with extra cocoa powder, drizzle over chocolate fudge
To access other recipes from Anna and more winter baking inspiration, CSR Sugar and White Wings customers can redeem a personalised QR recipe apron by purchasing three products in one transaction throughout July and August in all major supermarkets, and visiting www.whitewingscsrapron.com.au after their shop.