Whip up these delicious Strawberry shortcake scones and enjoy fresh out of the oven scone whether it is for a fancy high tea brunch or a post dinner dessert.
- 2 ¾ cups flour
- 1 tbs baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 80g butter, cold and grated
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup SodaStream sparkling water
- 1 cup strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 1 tbs caster sugar
- ¼ cup water
- Whipped cream to serve
- To prepare the SodaStream sparkling water: Fill a SodaStream 1L Bottle with cold water and carbonate.
- Preheat your oven to 180C fan-forced.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt in a mixing bowl.
- Rub the butter into the flour mix using only your fingertips until it looks like breadcrumbs.
- Add sparkling water and milk and use a butter knife to ‘cut’ the flour into the liquid until just mixed.
- Turn dough out onto a floured surface and knead together 2-3 times until the mixture holds.
- Press the dough out 3-4 cm high and cut scones with a cutter. Knead and repeat with remaining dough.
- Place the scones onto a lined baking tray and bake for 20-25 minutes. I recommend checking them at 20 minutes, then returning to the oven if they’re not quite ready yet.
- While the scones are baking, combine the syrup ingredients in a saucepan over medium heat. Simmer for 10 minutes until the strawberries have softened.
- Serve scones warm with cream and syrup.