Today, leading travel site Wotif.com announces the winners of this year’s Uniquely Aussie Awards – the annual guide to the country’s most underrated gems.
With ongoing travel restrictions due to COVID-19, recent months have seen Aussies opt for local destinations to get their immediate travel fix, a behaviour Wotif has coined a state-cation.
New research reveals 70% of Aussies plan to take a road trip, with virtually all (92%) believing it’s the best way to discover local businesses and communities.
So, with intrastate trips more relevant than ever, this year’s awards, now in their third year, celebrates all there is to love about a classic local getaway, helping to inspire Aussies to plan their next state-cation when the time is right.
“Whether it’s visiting one of Australia’s 150+ oversized roadside attractions or discovering a local market, the thousands of votes received this year made clear that every Aussie knows a local gem worthy of the spotlight. With the Australian sense of community at an all-time high, this year Wotif is encouraging Aussies to fuel this pride by taking the time to discover and support as many local businesses as possible on their next Aussie adventure.”Wotif Managing Director, Daniel Finch
Wotif 2020 Uniquely Aussie Award National Winners
- Best Potato Scallop: Blue Lips Fish & Chips, Exmouth, WA – We’re talking serious potato business here – home made with mashed potato, leek and cream, Blue Lips don’t mess around.
- Best Bowls Club: Merthyr Bowls Club, New Farm, QLD – Said to have the best view in Brisbane, this Bowls Club isn’t your run of the mill bowlo, with a delicious menu to boot.
- Best Markets: Eumundi Markets, Eumundi, QLD – Voters sure had a lot to say about Eumundi – the quality, variety, delicious food, vibing entertainment and locally-made wares are just a few reasons to visit, plus did we mention it’s a short drive to the beach?
- Best Big Thing: The Big Banana, Coffs Harbour, NSW – An Australian icon, as many put it. Australia’s first Big Thing and one that continues to reinvent itself with its toboggan, laser tag arena and water park. Plus, you can’t go past those choc-covered bananas.
- Best Holiday Park: BIG4 West Beach Parks, Adelaide, SA – The perfect family spot, located on the beach with endless activities for the kids and walking steps to great eateries and shops.
- Best Schnitty: Schnithouse, Adelaide, SA – With a dish called ‘Schnit Faced’ and over 20 varieties on the menu, you know these guys are serious about their schnitty, with gluten-free options also available.
Wot if you went on an impromptu road trip this weekend, Wot if you spent the day being a tourist in your own backyard and Wot if you truly made the most of this year at home? To discover this year’s best Uniquely Aussie experiences and to plan your State-cation head to wotif.com/aussieawards.
Want more from Mama? Get the latest MamaMag fun straight to your inbox.