The two MasterChef favourites have used Tilda’s dry rice range, which is easily whipped up in a rice cooker or stove pot.
For a quick and easy side to BBQ meat or fresh vegetables this summer, try Sarah’s simple Garlic Fried Rice. If you’re after something a little more time and flavour intensive, Anushka’s Harissa Chicken with Rice, which uses the absorption method to get the rice tasting just right.
Anushka’s Harissa Chicken with Rice
- 2 cups Tilda basmati rice
- 2 cups boiling water
- 30 g butter or olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- Wash the rice in cold water at least 3 times and drain (until water is clear).
- Melt the butter in a cooking pan and add the rice and salt.
- Add the boiling water and cover with lid
- Cook on medium heat until almost all the water is absorbed.
- Lower the heat to its lowest, cover the lid with kitchen towel and steam for another 5 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and rest the rice another 10 minutes with lid on.
Recipe for harissa paste:
- 10 dry long red chilies
- 4 dry bird eye chillies
- 4 fresh red chillies
- 1 roasted red capsicum
- 7-8 cloves of garlic
- 2 tbs tomato paste
- 150 ml olive oil
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tbs white wine vinegar
- 2 tsp coriander seed
- 1 tsp ajwan
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Roast the spice mixture in a dry pan
- When it releases aroma take off from heat and grind with pestle or mortar. Or alternatively use already grind spices.
Place all the ingredients and all the spice mixture into a blender and blend to a fine pasts. Add a bit more oil if needed. Season to taste.
4 chicken breast cut in strips. Coat it with harissa paste and fry off in very hot pan for few minutes with a little olive oil. (Fry little batches to avoid steaming )
- 6 tbs Greek style plain yoghurt
- 6 garlic gloves (crushed)
- Salt to taste
Mix all ingredients together and set aside
Place Tilda basmati rice on the plate, top with garlic yoghurt, place chicken strips on top. Garnish with lots of fresh dill and coriander. Squeeze little lemon juice on top. Season with salt and black pepper.
Sarah’s simple Garlic Fried Rice
- 2 tbsp neutral oil (e.g. rice bran, grapeseed)
- 8-10 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 25g butter, salted
- 2 cups cooked Tilda Jasmine Rice
- 1 egg per person, fried
- Heat the oil and garlic in a small saucepan on medium heat for 4-5 minutes or until the garlic becomes golden brown.
- Remove the oil from heat and add the butter. Stir to fully melt and incorporate.
- While the rice and the oil are still hot, pour the oil and garlic over the rice, season with a generous pinch of salt and mix thoroughly. Serve the rice with a fried egg!
You can find Tilda’s rice range at your local Coles, Woolworths & independent supermarkets.