Australian kitchenware brand Wiltshire share their favourite Winter Warmer recipes to whip up last minute on a cold night or to bring your loved ones together with a hearty dish.
Try this delicious Vegan Shepherd’s Pie recipe with a Roast Sweet Potato Topping…
Vegan Shepherd’s Pie
3 tbsp olive oil
3 tbsp of semolina
1 large onion, finely diced
1 large carrot, peeled and finely diced
1 medium red capsicum, diced
3 cloves of garlic, minced
2 sticks of celery, diced
2 bay leaves
3 tbsp fresh rosemary, finely chopped
2 cups cauliflower rice
4 tbsp tomato paste
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
2 cups beef style Masel vegetable stock (vegan)
2 cups water
1 x 400 g tin of lentils, rinsed and drained
1 x 400 g tin of chickpeas, rinsed and drained
Sweet potato top
2 large sweet potato, skin on
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
2. Place sweet Potato on a tray and place in the oven for about 30 minutes or until fork tender to the center.
- Remove and set aside to cool.
- Lower oven temperature to 180°C
- Meanwhile heat a large pan to high heat, add oil, onion, carrot, red pepper and celery and cook stirring for around 5 minutes or until the vegetables are beginning to caramelise.
- Add the garlic, rosemary a nd bay and cook, stirring for 1 minute.
- Add tomato paste, cauliflower rice and vinegar and stir through. Continue to cook stirring for another few minutes before adding stock, water, lentils and beans.
- Bring the pan to a simmer and allow the liquid to evaporate until there is around a cup left.
11.Scatter the top with semolina and stir through to thicken, season to taste then turn off the heat.
- Pour the filling into your Wiltshire Enamel Pie Dish 1.5 ltrs and set aside.
- To make the top, peel the sweet potato and place the flesh in a bowl. Add oil, salt and mash roughly with a fork.
- Place the topping on your pie filling and gently manipulate the sweet potato to evenly cover the filling.
- Use a spoon to create an organic pattern on top then sprinkle the remaining ingredients across the top and place the pie back in the oven.
- Cook for around 25 minutes, or until the top is starting to brown at the tips and the filling is bubbling.
- Serve immediately
Recipe and Photography credit: Kate Flowers